Benefits Eligiblity / Dependent Eligibility
To be eligible to participate in the USG Benefit Platform, you must be a regularly employed KSU faculty or staff member working at least 30 or more hours per week.
Eligible Dependents for Medical Plan Coverage:
Eligible dependents for Medical Plan coverage are defined as:
- Legal spouse (does not include common law spouse);
- Natural and adopted children up to age 26;
- Children who have been placed for adoption in connection with assumption by the person of a legal obligation for the total or partial support of a child in anticipation of the legal adoption of such child;
- Step-children up to age 26
- Children up to age 26 for whom the covered employee is the permanent legal guardian if a court has named the employee as the child’s permanent guardian;
- Unmarried, disabled children beyond age 26 if:
- They are unable to support themselves; and
- They depend on the employee for support; and
- The condition existed prior to age 26; and
- Proof of incapacity is furnished within 30 days of the dependent child’s 26th birthday
Eligible Dependents for all other benefits plans:
In order to cover an eligible dependent, you must provide documentation verifying your dependent meets the definition of eligible dependent.
- Legal Spouse
- Unmarried, natural and adopted children under age 26;
- Unmarried step children under age 26 who depend on the employee for support and maintenance and who live with the employee in a normal parent‐child relationship;
- Children for whom the covered employee is the permanent legal guardian if:
- A court has named the employee as the child’s permanent guardian; and
- The child lives in the employee’s home in a normal parent‐child relationship; and
The child is dependent on the employee for support.
Unmarried, disabled children beyond the age limit if:
They are unable to support themselves; and
They depend on the employee for support; and
The condition existed prior to age 26; and
- Proof of incapacity is furnished within 31 days of the child’s 26th birthday.
Dependent Documentation Required
To enroll your Spouse, you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate.
To enroll your dependent children up to age 26, you must provide the following documents:
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate, naming you or your spouse as the child’s parent, or appropriate court order / adoption decree naming you or your spouse as the child’s legal guardian.
If your dependent is your stepchild, you must also provide:
- A copy of your marriage certificate as proof of the dependent’s relationship to the employee
If your dependent is disabled and over age 26, you must also provide:
- A copy of the front page of one of your last two year’s filed federal tax return confirming showing that you claimed this dependent. You may blacken out any financial information
- Proof of incapacity
Dependents turning Age 26:
Once your dependent turns age 26, they are no longer eligible to remain covered under the University System of Georgia Healthcare Plan. As a result, his/her coverage will end at the end of the month in which they turn age 26. The system will automatically remove them from your plan(s) and mail a COBRA packet to notify them of their COBRA enrollment rights.
Dependent Eligibility Documents must be submitted directly to OneUSG. Please contact the OneUSG Connect Benefits Call Center at 1-844-587-4236 for further details and instructions.